How Much Can I Contribute to a Roth IRA? - Case Study

Discuss factors affecting contribution limits to your Roth IRA: age, earned income, cost of living, inflation, phase-out

Call Best IRA Rescue

How Much Can I Contribute to a Roth IRA?

Powerpoint slides on a superior retirement planning strategy called Roth IRA on Roids which allows for tax-free distributions, tax-free growth, guaranteed principal and guarateed death benefits.Tammy has recently opened a Roth IRA. Having never had an IRA account, she must learn what the contribution limits are for the account. She has already been told that each year, the IRA rules change and one of those changes is the contribution limits for the year. One of the main questions Tammy has asked is, "how much can I contribute to a Roth IRA?" Each year, a chart is issued. This chart will depict what the allowable Roth IRA contributions are. These limits do change annually, so Tammy must stay informed as to what the contribution limits will be each year. That change is usually an increase that reflects inflation and the cost of living. Since a Roth IRA retirement account is designed to save for retirement, Tammy should always be aware of the contribution limits.

Contributions to a Roth IRA Dependent on Age and Current Income

When Tammy opened her account, her eligibility was based on what her current income is. She was told that there are strict guidelines that must be met. These will be discussed later in the article. She was told that, currently, the maximum allowable contribution to a Roth IRA account is $5,000 per year. This amount is for anyone who is under the age of 50. Seeing as Tammy is 37, she will be allowed to contribute up to $5,000. Now, if Tammy was over the age of 50, she would have been allowed a catch-up amount of $1,000. This is in addition to the standard $5,000 limit. Therefore, if Tammy was 50 or older, she would have been allowed to contribute up to $6,000 in her Roth IRA retirement plan each year.

Factors Affecting the Contribution Limits of Roth IRA

As mentioned previously, each year, the cost of living and inflation is taken into consideration. Often times, these will result in an increase of the allowable contribution. However, there is another factor that could actually decrease what you can contribute to a Roth IRA. Tammy's earned income could have a huge impact on whether she can contribute to the IRA. First of all, one of the eligibility requirements to even open a Roth IRA is that you must have a source of earned income. Tammy is employed and is eligible to contribute to a Roth IRA. The IRS will then take the amount of her income and determine whether she is eligible based on the income limits.

IRA Limits to a Roth IRA Dependent on Tax Filing Status: Married Filing Joint or Widow

These IRA limits regarding income will vary depending on Tammy's tax filing status. Currently, under Roth IRA rules, if her tax status is married filing joint or if she is a widow(er), her income limit is $169,000. This is the maximum amount she could have made in 2008 to continue contributing to her Roth IRA in 2009. Next year, that amount is due to be increased to $176,000. Now, if Tammy is single, her income cannot exceed $116,000 for 2008 and $120,000 for 2009. What does this mean? Basically, she can only earn up to the stated amount to be able to contribute the maximum amount into her Roth IRA.

Phase-Out Period of Roth IRA Contributions

If she exceeds the set limits, you will enter a phase-out period. This is when the allowable contribution amount begins to decrease, based on your earnings. It is possible for you to completely lose the ability to contribute altogether if your income is too high. Tammy does file her taxes with the single status, so her income limit will be $116,000. Currently, Tammy earns $74,000 each year, so she is well within the allowable limits for income. However, if Tammy were to get a new job that paid her $120,000 per year, the amount she will be able to contribute to her Roth IRA will begin to decrease because she has exceeded the income limits.

In short, the answer to, "how much can I contribute to a Roth IRA?" will depend on all of these factors. As long as Tammy continues to meet the requirements and stay beneath the income limit, she will be allowed to contribute up to $5,000 a year. If she was over 50, she would be allowed the extra catch-up amount of $1,000. Now, this does not mean she must contribute this much to her account, but she is not allowed to go over the contribution limits. Tammy has been dealing with her financial advisor and he has informed her that it is to her benefit to contribute as much as she possible can each year. This is the best way Tammy can prepare for retirement later in life.

How to Backstop Your Roth IRABackstop Roth IRABackstop Roth IRA & Retirement Plan Investing
Using a Roth IRA as an Emergency FundRoth IRA RulesUnderstanding Roth IRA Rules & Regulations
Roth IRA 2009 RulesWhat's Better - 401(k) or Roth IRA?Can I roll my 401k to a Roth IRA?
How to Backstop Your Roth IRATax Rules:Roth IRA Conversions, IRA Insurance Protection & LawsuitsRoth IRA, 401k, 403b, Traditional IRA Tax-Exempt or Tax-Deferred
High Yield Roth IRACan I roll my 401(k) to a Roth IRA? - Case Study

Rocco Beatrice, CPA, MST (Master of Science in Taxation), MBA (Master of Business Administration), BSBA (Management/Accounting), CWPP (Certified Wealth Preservation Planner), CMMB (Certified Mortgage Broker), CAPP (Certified Asset Protection Planner), Managing Director, Estate Street Partners, LLC. Mr. Beatrice is an asset protection, award-winning trust, estate planning and tax expert.

If you are seeking for the best return on your IRA and Roth IRA investments while reducing your taxes then call us now for your initial, completely FREE, no obligation, no sales pressure, 100% total & complete client privacy consultation. Call us toll-free now at 888-93-ULTRA (888-938-5872)!

Estate Street Partners, LLC
Uncompromising, Alternative and Exclusive Retirement Planning & Wealth Management for an Accelerated Chartered Roadmap to Financial Success

Boston (head office):
71 Commercial Street #150, Boston, MA 02109
toll-free: 888-93-ULTRA (888-938-5872)
tel: +1.508.429.0011 fax: +1.508.429.3034
543 Victoria Ste. J, Costa Mesa, CA 92627
toll-free: 888-93ULTRA (888-938-5872)
Only by appointment: 2235 E. Flamingo Road, Suite 201-G, Las Vegas NV 89119
toll-free: 888-93ULTRA (888-938-5872)
tel: 702.615.7616 fax: 702.796.6694

Sign up for the "Best IRA" free newsletter to learn about how to significantly increase your retirement investment savings, preserve your IRA money, and receive sound & secure Roth IRA investment strategies. You'll also receive the latest news and governmental IRA policy changes and how your taxes will affect your IRA account. We'll send key information on other retirement vehicles such as the 401(k) too.
First Name *
Email Address *
State *
* - required fields